Question: Dear Fairy Grant Mother, What is the difference between the SF 424 and SF 424A when applying for federal grants?

Answer: Great question, people often confuse these two forms or don’t understand what they are!

The SF 424 is the standardized Application for Federal Assistance. This is the basic form that provides the federal agency you are applying to information about your organization, what grant you are applying for and the level of funding you are asking for.

The SF 424A is a common form, used by many federal agencies, and is the official “budget” for your proposed program. This is where you break-down expenses by cost category and forecast funding needs specifically for the first grant period (normally 1 year).

You can find more information about the SF 424 and 424A at